Are you a student from Sub-Saharan Africa with a strong academic background and a passion for development studies? If so, we have exciting news for you! The Development Research Division (DRD) is offering a limited number of prestigious DAAD merit scholarships each year for Sub-Saharan African applicants who wish to pursue Masters or PhD studies related to development.
The scholarship program is a joint initiative between the University of the Western Cape in South Africa and Ruhr-University Bochum in Germany.
Fields of Study:
The scholarships are available for full-time students interested in the following fields:
- MA in Development Studies
- Master in Public Administration
- Different PhD options at the center (PhD UWC)
Number of Awards:
The number of scholarships available is limited, so if you’re interested, it’s essential to apply promptly.
To be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a national of a Sub-Saharan African country
- Have an excellent academic record, with at least a 70% average in your last degree
- Completed previous studies at an internationally recognized university, preferably in a field related to Development Studies
- South African students need an honors degree for a Masters course or an equivalent of a 4-year undergraduate degree for other students
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English (written and spoken), such as TOEFL or a similar standard test, or a letter from an academic institution
- Preferred work and/or voluntary experience in the field of interest
- No formal age restriction, but it’s recommended to apply within three years of completing the previous degree, unless there’s a valid reason for academic inactivity
- Women and South African students are strongly encouraged to apply
- Applicants must be able to study full-time at the UWC for the required period.
Selected candidates will receive generous financial support, including:
- Monthly allowance of 650 Euros for Master’s candidates and 900 Euros for PhD candidates
- Travel allowances
- Tuition and registration fee coverage
To apply for the scholarships, please follow these steps:
- Carefully review the entry requirements and application procedure for your chosen program, available on the respective program sections of the official website.
- Submit your application through the online application form, which you can find in the “How to apply” sections of each program’s webpage.
- Applications via hardcopy or email will not be considered.
- The application deadline is 20th June 2021.
For more detailed information and access to the electronic application form, please visit the official scholarship website at http://www.cdr-sa.org/.
Don’t miss this fantastic opportunity to further your education in Development Studies and make a positive impact on your community and the world! Apply now and take your academic journey to new heights with the DRD’s DAAD merit scholarships. Good luck!