Swiss universities are known for their high-quality education and relatively low tuition fees compared to other European countries. International students looking to pursue their studies in Europe often consider Switzerland as a top choice. In addition to affordable tuition, there are various Swiss scholarships available for international students to help with their tuition fees and living costs.
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Students: Every year, the Swiss Confederation awards Government Excellence Scholarships to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and more than 180 other countries. These scholarships are available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline, holding a minimum of a master’s degree, who plan to conduct research or pursue further studies at the doctoral or post-doctoral level. The scholarship covers various expenses, including a monthly stipend, exemption from tuition fees, health insurance, airfare, and housing allowance.
- ETH Excellence Scholarships: ETH Zurich supports outstanding students from both national and international universities who wish to pursue a Master’s degree at ETH. There are two scholarship programs available: the Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme (ESOP) covers full study and living costs, while the Master Scholarship Programme (MSP) offers a partial stipend and the opportunity for an assistantship.
- University of Lausanne Master’s Grants for Foreign Students: The University of Lausanne provides scholarships to international students pursuing a Master’s degree at the university through the UNIL Master’s Grants. The grant amount is CHF 1,600 per month, from 15 September to 15 July, for a duration not exceeding the minimum program period.
- EPFL Excellence Fellowships: Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL) offers a limited number of fellowships at the Master’s level to students with exceptional academic records. Anyone applying to an EPFL Master’s program is eligible. The fellowship includes a financial package of CHF 16,000 per academic year and a reserved room in student accommodation.
- Graduate Institute Geneva Scholarships: The Graduate Institute Geneva offers various forms of financial aid to attract talented scholars from around the world, regardless of their financial background. Financial aid options include full scholarships of CHF 20,000, partial scholarships of CHF 10,000, tuition reduction, and teaching/research assistantships. Highly ranked PhD students may receive a 4-year package combining full scholarships and teaching assistantships.
- University of Geneva Excellence Master Fellowships: The University of Geneva Faculty of Science, in collaboration with several sponsors, has established an Excellence Fellowship Program to support outstanding candidates pursuing a Master of Science degree in various disciplines covered by the Faculty. The Excellence Fellowship amounts to CHF 10,000 to CHF 15,000 per year.
- Geneva Academy Scholarships: The Geneva Academy offers partial and full scholarships for its LLM in International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights (LLM) and Master of Advanced Studies in Transitional Justice, Human Rights, and the Rule of Law (MTJ). Full scholarships cover tuition fees and living expenses in Geneva for 10 months, while partial scholarships cover tuition fees.
- IMD MBA Scholarships: IMD offers several scholarship programs for international students from different countries and backgrounds, with awards ranging from CHF 25,000 to CHF 50,000.
Switzerland’s affordable tuition fees and numerous scholarships make it an attractive destination for international students seeking quality education and research opportunities. Whether you’re pursuing a Master’s degree or conducting advanced research, these Swiss scholarships can significantly ease the financial burden and make your academic journey more fulfilling.