Are you a German undergraduate student with a passion for Romance studies, intercultural and European studies, or linguistics? If so, the Program d’Études en France (PEF) Scholarship, offered by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in collaboration with the French Embassy in Berlin and the DAAD, presents an exciting opportunity for you to pursue your academic interests in France. Let’s explore the benefits of this program and the simple steps to apply.
Why Apply to the PEF Program?
The PEF program is dedicated to supporting German students pursuing bachelor’s courses in specific fields, including Romance studies, France-related intercultural and European studies, and linguistics. Depending on their chosen major, students in law or economics may also apply. The program offers various benefits, making it an appealing opportunity for students:
- Pedagogical and Logistical Support: PEF provides students with comprehensive pedagogical support to ensure they have a fulfilling academic experience in France. Moreover, logistical assistance is available to smoothen the transition to a foreign country and university.
- Accommodation Support: The host university in France offers assistance with finding suitable accommodation for scholarship recipients during their study period.
- Financing by the French Embassy: The program is financed with funds from the French Embassy in Berlin, ensuring financial support for the successful applicants.
Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible for the PEF scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Nationality: Only German students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Course and Subjects: The scholarship is open to students pursuing undergraduate courses in specific fields, including Romance studies, intercultural (France-related) and European studies, and linguistics, with French as the first foreign language.
- Academic Level: Applicants should be enrolled in a state-recognized university in Germany and be in the second semester or the second half of the first year of their bachelor’s degree at the time of application.
Application Process: The application process is conducted online through the DAAD portal. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Register in the DAAD portal to begin the application process.
- Complete the online application form and provide the required information.
- If necessary, request references in the DAAD portal. For this, refer to the “Application documents” section on the “Application procedure” tab.
- Submit the supporting documents via post to the DAAD, including a tabular curriculum vitae, letter of motivation (in German and French), university entrance qualification, transcript of records, language proficiency proof, enrollment certificate, and any other relevant documents.
Language Requirement: Applicants must have language proficiency equivalent to level B2 in French. The required language skills must be proven through a language certificate, not older than one year, recognized by the DAAD. Accepted certificates include the DAAD language certificate form, DELF, and TCF.
Benefits of the PEF Scholarship: If granted, the scholarship offers the following benefits:
- A monthly partial scholarship rate of 450 euros, providing financial support during the study period in France.
- Exemption from tuition fees at French universities, ensuring a cost-free academic experience.
- Benefits for health, accident, and personal liability insurance, providing security during the stay in France.
The Program d’Études en France (PEF) Scholarship is a remarkable opportunity for German undergraduate students to explore their academic interests in France. With financial support, pedagogical assistance, and accommodation aid, this program can be a stepping stone towards a rewarding academic journey. Don’t miss the chance to apply before the deadline on 31 March 2023!