Are you an ambitious student looking to pursue higher education in the United States? Portland State University (PSU) in Oregon welcomes students from all over the world to experience cultural diversity and expand their horizons. If you dream of studying in the beautiful city of Portland, the International Student Retention Scholarship (ISRS) might be your ticket to making that dream a reality.
The ISRS, funded by the State of Oregon, aims to support international students pursuing Bachelors or Masters degrees in any field offered by the university. This partial funding scholarship offers an award of $1,500 per term, or the total amount of tuition, whichever is less, for up to six consecutive terms.
Who is Eligible?
This scholarship opportunity is open to students of all nationalities, except those from the United States. To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be an international student enrolled at Portland State University.
- If you are co-enrolled at another USCIS-approved institution, you are still eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants must have well-defined degree goals and show satisfactory progress towards completing their degree program.
- Students restricted to English as a second language (ESL) coursework are not eligible for the scholarship until they have met the English Language Proficiency Requirements.
The eligibility requirements vary based on the level of study:
- Undergraduate Students: Must have completed at least three terms at PSU and maintain a GPA of 2.75 or above.
- Undergraduate Transfer Students: Must have completed at least one term at PSU and maintain a GPA of 2.75 or above.
- Post-Baccalaureate and Graduate Students: Must have completed at least one term at PSU and maintain a GPA of 3.00 or above.
Application Deadline and Award Details:
As the deadline for the application varies, it is essential to stay updated on PSU’s official website. The scholarship is awarded in the Fall, Winter, and Spring terms but is not available during the Summer term. It’s important to note that the number of awards given each year depends on the availability of funds.
Maintaining the Scholarship:
Once you become a recipient of the International Student Retention Scholarship, you must maintain a GPA of 2.75 (for undergraduates) or 3.0 (for graduate students) or above to continue receiving the award.
the International Student Retention Scholarship at Portland State University is an excellent opportunity for international students to pursue their academic aspirations in the vibrant city of Portland, Oregon. Embrace the cultural diversity and unique experiences that PSU has to offer while receiving financial support to make your dreams a reality. For further details and application instructions, please visit the official scholarship page on PSU’s website.