The University of Birmingham is offering exciting AI and Data Science Conversion Masters Scholarships for the academic year 2023/24. These scholarships aim to upskill students with non-STEM and far-STEM degrees, providing them with the opportunity to pursue careers in the AI and Data Science workforce. With a focus on promoting diversity, the initiative aims to support 120 students from underrepresented groups, providing each eligible student with a generous £10,000 scholarship to aid their academic journey.
To be eligible for the AI and Data Science Conversion Masters Scholarships, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Course Offer: The student should have either an unconditional or conditional offer for a place in one of the designated University of Birmingham courses, which include:
- MSc Financial Technology
- MSc Data Science
- MSc Responsible Data Science
- MSc Computer Science
- Online MSc Bioinformatics
- MSc Bioinformatics
- MSc Health Data
- Underrepresented Groups: Applicants must demonstrate that they belong to at least one of the nine underrepresented groups identified by the OfS (Office for Students), such as black students, female students, disabled students, and more.
- Non-STEM Background: Students must not have previously studied a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) or a far-STEM degree subject. Non-STEM degrees from various fields, including arts, economics, and business, are eligible for the scholarship.
The University scholarship panel will evaluate applications based on the following criteria:
- Underrepresented Group Score: Applications will be assessed using a points-based system, giving priority to students from the underrepresented categories.
- Aptitude and Skills: Performance in an aptitude test will be considered, and applicants will be ranked based on their test results.
- Student Motivation: The panel will review the student’s interest in the subject, relevant experience, and how the course aligns with their future plans.
To be considered for the scholarship, applicants must follow these steps:
- Apply to the desired Masters program at the University of Birmingham through the relevant program page on the Course finder section. Ensure all necessary supporting documents are included.
- Complete the AI and Data Science Conversion Masters Scholarships application form, using the application ID received during the Masters program application.
Scholarship Application Deadlines:
For MSc Bioinformatics (Online) – June 2023 Intake: May 19, 2023; October 2023 Intake: September 15, 2023; February 2024 Intake: January 19, 2024. For all other programs, the scholarship application deadline is midnight on July 31, 2023.
The AI and Data Science Conversion Masters Scholarships at the University of Birmingham present a wonderful opportunity for students with non-STEM and far-STEM degrees to enter the dynamic fields of AI and Data Science. By providing financial support and promoting diversity, the university aims to empower talented individuals from underrepresented backgrounds to shape the future of these industries. If you meet the eligibility criteria, don’t miss the chance to apply and embark on an exciting academic journey with the University of Birmingham.