There are various scholarships offered by global organizations, institutions, and foundations to support international students in pursuing their studies at universities around the world. Here are some of the top international scholarships:
Scholarships by Intergovernmental Organizations:
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships: Funded by the European Union, these scholarships support Master’s or Doctorate level programs through Erasmus Mundus Joint Programmes. Students from both within and outside the EU can apply. The scholarships cover living costs, tuition fees, travel, and insurance.
- Commonwealth Scholarships: Member countries of the Commonwealth offer these scholarships to citizens of other member countries. They allow students to study in developed or developing nations within the Commonwealth. The scholarships typically cover tuition fees, living expenses, and travel costs.
- UNESCO Fellowships Programmes: UNESCO and its partners provide training and research fellowships to enhance human resources in United Nations Member States, especially in developing countries. The fellowships are available in various countries and usually cover monthly allowances and travel costs.
Scholarships by Global Institutions:
- Joint Japan World Bank Scholarships: Sponsored by the World Bank, this program supports students from developing countries to pursue graduate studies worldwide. Scholars are expected to return to their home countries and contribute to their development. The scholarship includes travel costs, tuition, and a monthly allowance.
- ADB Japan Scholarship Program: This scholarship, offered by the Asian Development Bank, provides opportunities for citizens of developing member countries to undertake postgraduate studies in various fields within the Asian and Pacific Region. It covers tuition fees, living expenses, and travel costs.
- MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program for Africa: Aimed at economically disadvantaged young people in Africa, this program offers financial support for secondary school and university studies. It covers fees, accommodations, transportation, and stipends.
- OFID Scholarship Award: The OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID) offers fully-funded scholarships for Master’s degrees at accredited universities worldwide. The scholarship includes tuition support, a monthly allowance for living expenses, books, and accommodation.
Scholarships by International Foundations:
- Rotary Foundation Global Study Grants: The Rotary Foundation offers scholarships for postgraduate studies to Rotary club nominees in about 70 countries. The grants can cover partial or full study costs.
- Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program: This foundation provides scholarships for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from developing countries. Scholarships are awarded based on a competitive application process and include tuition and living expenses.
- Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarships: These scholarships support international students who want to pursue Masters or PhD degrees in Germany. They provide a monthly allowance and a mobility allowance but do not cover tuition fees.
- Wells Mountain Foundation Scholarships for Developing Countries: This foundation funds scholarships for individuals from developing nations or extreme poverty situations to study in their home country or another developing country. The scholarships cover tuition, fees, books, and materials.
- PEO International Peace Scholarships: The International Peace Scholarship Fund offers scholarships to selected women from other countries for graduate studies in the United States and Canada. The maximum award is $10,000.
- Open Society Foundation Civil Society Leadership Award: This program provides fully funded master’s degree study to individuals from specific countries who demonstrate academic excellence and a commitment to social change. The scholarship covers tuition fees, stipends, travel costs, and insurance.
These scholarships offer valuable opportunities for international students to pursue their academic goals and contribute to positive change in their communities and beyond.