The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers scholarships to foreign graduates from developing and newly industrialized countries, allowing them to pursue postgraduate or Master’s degrees at state or state-recognized German universities.
In some cases, doctoral degrees are also granted, providing an excellent opportunity to obtain a university qualification in Germany.
This article provides essential details about the scholarship, including eligible fields of study, scholarship value, duration, and application instructions.
What does the scholarship offer? The DAAD scholarships offer monthly payments of 861 euros for graduates and 1,200 euros for doctoral candidates. Additionally, the scholarship covers health, accident, and personal liability insurance expenses, along with a travel allowance (unless covered by other funding sources). The duration of the scholarship is typically 12 to 24 months for Master’s degrees and 42 months for Ph.D. programs, varying based on the specific institution.
Who is eligible to apply? The scholarship targets students from eligible countries, specifically those from developing and newly industrialized nations. To be considered for the scholarship, applicants must meet several criteria:
- Currently employed by a public authority, state, or private company in their home country, engaged in planning and executing projects related to development policies in technological, economic, or social areas.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject, completed with exceptional results (upper third).
- Possess a minimum of two years of professional experience related to their Bachelor’s degree.
- Academic degrees should not be more than six years old at the time of application.
- Provide proof of language proficiency, either in German (B1 level) or English, depending on the language of instruction for the chosen course.
What fields of study are eligible? The DAAD scholarships cover a wide range of disciplines, including but not limited to:
- Economic Sciences/Business Administration/Political Economics
- Development Cooperation
- Engineering and Related Sciences
- Regional and Urban Planning
- Agricultural and Forest Sciences
- Natural and Environmental Sciences
- Medicine and Public Health
- Social Sciences, Education, and Law
- Media Studies
How to apply for the scholarship? To apply for the DAAD scholarship, interested candidates must directly apply to their chosen postgraduate or Master’s course at the respective German university. The application process, required documents, and deadlines vary depending on the course. Generally, the application deadlines fall between August and October of 2023 for courses starting in the academic year 2023/2024.
Applicants are advised to visit the official scholarship website to access the application form, detailed information, FAQs, and the 2024/2025 brochure. Please refer to the respective course websites for specific application procedures and deadlines.
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) scholarships offer an excellent opportunity for students from developing and newly industrialized countries to pursue postgraduate or Master’s degrees at renowned German universities. With attractive financial support and a diverse range of eligible fields of study, the scholarships aim to foster academic growth and development cooperation. Prospective applicants are encouraged to explore the official website for complete information and to prepare for the application process in advance.