If you’re an international student looking for scholarships to study abroad, Canada is a promising destination with numerous opportunities. Although the number of Canada scholarships may be limited compared to the USA, UK, or Australia, there are still various options available to support your academic journey. In this blog post, we will highlight some prestigious scholarships offered by Canadian universities for both undergraduate and graduate international students.
International Undergraduate Scholarships in Canada:
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships: The University of Toronto’s Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program aims to recognize exceptional international students who exhibit outstanding academic achievements and creativity, demonstrating leadership qualities in their schools. The scholarship offers full financial support, including tuition, books, incidental fees, and residence for four years.
- York University International Student Scholarship Program: International students with an excellent academic record and admission to York University can apply for scholarships ranging from $80,000 to $180,000 for their four-year degree program.
- University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students: The University of British Columbia allocates over $10 million CAD annually to awards, scholarships, and financial assistance for outstanding international undergraduate students who display remarkable academic performance.
- Carleton Prestige Scholarships: Carleton University offers several Prestige scholarships to outstanding incoming undergraduate students with an admission average of 90% or higher. These scholarships include the Chancellor’s Scholarship, Richard Lewar Entrance Scholarship, Carleton University Scholarship of Excellence, Carleton University SHAD Scholarship (valued at CAD 20,000-30,000), as well as the Riordon Scholarship and Collins Prestige Scholarship, which cover full tuition fees for four years.
- Calgary International Entrance Scholarships: The University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarship is a prestigious award bestowed upon exceptional international students commencing their undergraduate studies at the university. The scholarship provides a total of $60,000 over four years.
- Winnipeg President’s Scholarships for World Leaders: The University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarship for World Leaders is designed for international students entering any of the university’s divisions for the first time. Scholarship amounts range from $3,500 to $5,000.
International Graduate Scholarships in Canada:
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships: The Vanier CGS aims to attract and retain world-class doctoral students, positioning Canada as a global center for research and higher learning. The scholarship supports doctoral students with $50,000 per year for three years.
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships: The University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships are merit-based awards open to students from any nationality pursuing full-time graduate studies (Masters or Ph.D.) at the University of Manitoba. The fellowship provides $18,000 for PhD students and $14,000 for Master’s students for a 12-month period.
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships: These scholarships are available to foreign nationals, with a preference for candidates from developing countries, applying for a doctoral program in social sciences and humanities at a Canadian university. The scholarship is worth up to $60,000 per scholar for a maximum of three years.
- University of Waterloo Master’s Awards of Excellence: The International Master’s Award of Excellence (IMAE) is offered to eligible international master’s students enrolling in research-based graduate programs at the University of Waterloo. The award carries a value of $2,500 per term for a maximum of five terms.
- University of Calgary Graduate Awards: The University of Calgary provides a diverse range of full and partial scholarships for international graduate students, with scholarship values ranging from $1,000 to $40,000, covering various fields of study.
While Canada may offer a limited number of scholarships compared to other countries, these opportunities are valuable and can significantly ease the financial burden of international students. If you meet the criteria for any of the scholarships mentioned above, don’t hesitate to apply and pursue your academic dreams in Canada.