The SOAS Charles Wallace India Fellowship is an esteemed opportunity offered by the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) University of London in collaboration with the Charles Wallace India Trust.
This prestigious fellowship is aimed at Indian scholars in the fields of India Studies, encompassing Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. It provides partial funding for a three-month placement at SOAS in London during term time (January to May). In this blog post, we will delve into the key details and eligibility criteria of this fellowship, and why it serves as a remarkable opportunity for scholars in India.
To be eligible for the SOAS Charles Wallace India Fellowship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Indian Nationality: The fellowship is open only to Indian nationals residing in India during the application period.
- Field of Study: Applicants must have completed a PhD and should be actively engaged in research within the domains of “India Studies” as supported at SOAS, covering Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
- Career Stage: The fellowship targets scholars in the early to middle stages of their academic careers, providing them with a unique platform to enhance their research prospects.
- English Language Proficiency: Candidates must demonstrate sufficient proficiency in both written and spoken English to effectively participate in academic discussions and utilize resource materials.
- No Dual Enrollment: Applicants cannot utilize the fellowship in conjunction with enrollment in any Higher Educational Institution in the United Kingdom, including SOAS.
- Disclosure of Other Grants: Candidates must disclose any other grants they are currently receiving or awaiting the results of other applications. Failure to do so may lead to the withdrawal of the fellowship.
Why the Fellowship Matters:
The SOAS Charles Wallace India Fellowship holds immense significance for Indian scholars for several compelling reasons:
- Research Opportunities: This fellowship opens doors to scholars who have had limited or no opportunities to conduct research outside India. The placement at SOAS provides access to an enriching academic environment and extensive resources, fostering the potential for groundbreaking research.
- Cultural Exchange: By undertaking a three-month placement in London, fellows have the chance to immerse themselves in a diverse cultural setting, exchange ideas with international peers, and build lasting academic connections.
- Academic Growth: The fellowship offers a unique chance for scholars to enhance their academic profile and contribute significantly to their fields of study. The exposure to new perspectives and methodologies can be invaluable for personal and professional growth.
Applicants interested in the SOAS Charles Wallace India Fellowship must submit their applications before the deadline of 18th September 2023. The process involves providing relevant academic credentials, a detailed research proposal, and demonstrating English language proficiency. Additionally, candidates must declare any other grants they are currently receiving or awaiting the results of other applications.
The SOAS Charles Wallace India Fellowship is a prestigious opportunity for Indian scholars in India Studies, granting them the chance to conduct research at SOAS University of London and explore new academic frontiers. The fellowship not only fosters research excellence but also facilitates cultural exchange and academic growth. If you meet the eligibility criteria, don’t miss this chance to apply and take your research career to new heights. Best of luck with your application!