Top BEST 20 Scholarships For Nigerian Students In 2023
What exactly is a scholarship?
A scholarship is a grant or money given to students to help with school expenses.
Unbeknownst to many Nigerian students, there are numerous scholarship opportunities available for undergraduate and postgraduate students studying in Nigeria to help them financially, and some even provide you with the opportunity to study abroad.
Also read: Mike Rowe Scholarships
Here are 15+ official government-funded scholarships for Nigerians to study in the United Kingdom in 2023.
What are the benefits of these Nigerian scholarships?
The majority of these scholarships are provided and sponsored by major oil and gas companies, multinational corporations, governments, and private philanthropic foundations.
As someone who has benefited from many of these opportunities while in school, I have taken the time to compile a list of the top 20 scholarship opportunities for Nigerian students in 2023, complete with each scholarship’s details. Good luck to everyone who wishes to apply for these Nigerian student scholarships.
This list is not in any particular order; please see the list below:
- Scholarship for Nigerian Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG).
The Nigerian LNG company is one of the best in terms of student scholarships. Every year, this scholarship is awarded to deserving students at various Nigerian universities.
This scholarship is arguably the highest in Nigeria in terms of monetary value!
The level is 100.
N300,000 per year until graduation.
- Agbami Scholarship: The Agbami scholarship is the second scholarship worth mentioning here. Chevron and its Agbami partners fund the Agbami scholarship. Please keep in mind that this scholarship is only available to medical and engineering students at various universities.
100 and 200L levels
Medical students receive N200,000, while engineering students receive N100,000.
- Scholarship Program of the PTDF (Nigeria and Oversea)
The PTDF Scholarship Programme is another scholarship that is recommended for Nigerians. The PTDF programme includes both Nigerian and international universities. The Nigerian Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources provides the “PTDF Scholarship Scheme” to qualified Nigerian undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral students.
Please keep in mind that this scholarship is worth $150,000, plus a brand new laptop for each eligible candidate.
- Federal Government Scholarship: Another fantastic option for Nigerian students is the scholarship provided by the Federal Government via the Ministry of Education. Nigerian Scholarship Awards are available in Nigerian Tertiary Institutions to Postgraduate, Undergraduate, HND, and NCE students of Nigerian origin.
N150,000 for university students and N100,000 for NCE students.
- MTN Scholarship: The MTN scholarship programme 2023 is ranked fifth on this list. MTN usually awards numerous scholarships to Nigerian undergraduate students studying certain science and technology courses in various parts of the country as part of their corporate social responsibility to Nigerians.
THE MTN Scholarship for 2023 is valued at N200,000 per winner. Every year until graduation, those who are awarded receive 200,000.
Level 200L is the starting point.
- Nnpc/chevron Scholarship: You’ve probably heard of the Chevron/NNPC scholarship programme. Every year, Chevron, in partnership with the Nigerian National Petroleum Company, awards hundreds of national scholarships to Nigerian undergraduate students.
The scholarship is only available in Nigeria and is valid for four years, based solely on the student’s academic performance.
Worth: ₦100,000 every year till graduation. The level is 200L.
- Nigeria National Petroleum Company/Total E&P Scholarship: Another collaboration between the Nigeria National Petroleum Company, NNPC, and Total E&P offers scholarship grants to Nigerian students. Total, the oil and gas company, collaborates with the Nnpc to award numerous merit scholarships to Nigerian students at various universities across the country.
Please keep in mind that this scholarship is only available in Nigeria.
Worth: ₦150,000 every year till graduation.
The levels are 100 and 200.
- Jim Ovia Foundation Scholarship: In case you didn’t know, Jim Ovia is the owner and founder of Zenith Bank Plc. Jim Ovia is the philanthropic founder of Zenith Bank plc, and hundreds of scholarships have been awarded to Nigerian undergraduate students from across the country through his foundation.
Chief Jim Ovia has invested well over (150,000,000 Naira) 150,000,000 in this scheme over the last ten years. He is a very patriotic Nigerian who gives awards and has no tribal feelings.
Worth: N200,000 per year until graduation. All levels are included.
- Nnpc/Addax Scholarship: This is the third time NNPC has partnered with other corporations to provide scholarships to Nigerian students.
Every year, the Nnpc, in collaboration with Addax Petroleum, awards a number of meritorious scholarships to qualified and deserving Nigerian undergraduate students.Every year until graduation, the value is N100,000. The level is 100L.
10.Exxon Mobil Scholarship: This is yet another oil company scholarship programme. Some people may be aware of the Exxon Mobil scholarships, while others may be unaware. Please allow me to introduce you to the Exxon Mobil petroleum company. Who, as part of its corporate social responsibility, typically awards hundreds of scholarships to Nigerian undergraduates. Only Nigerian citizens are eligible for the award.
N75,000 per year until graduation.
The levels are 100 and 200.
- Shell (SPDC) Scholarship:
The Shell scholarship programme is ranked eleventh on this list. Every year, the Shell petroleum development company, in collaboration with the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC), awards national scholarships to Nigerian undergraduate students. The scholarship has only one Term of Service and Condition: All applicants must reside in Nigeria and be NIGERIANS ONLY.
N100,000 per year until graduation. 100 litres
- Nnpc/Seplat JV Scholarship: Every year, Seplat Petroleum Company collaborates with the Nigerian National Petroleum Company to award National scholarships to Nigerian undergraduate students.
All qualified applicants should be aware that this scholarship is only available in Nigeria.
- Nnpc/Snepco Scholarship: Snepco is another oil company that currently offers scholarships to Nigerian students in collaboration with NNPC.
It has become a tradition that the NNPC, through its joint venture with Snepco Petroleum, annually awards a large number of meritorious scholarships to qualified and deserving Nigerian undergraduate students.
N150,000 per year until graduation.
The level is 200L.
The fourteenth scholarship on this list is the Hillcity Foundation Scholarship, which is a vision found and funded by some young, talented, and selfless Nigerians under the umbrella of the Hillcity Foundation.
Please be advised that the primary goal of these founders is to positively impact the lives of brilliant but impoverished Nigerian students.
Amount: 50,000 per year until graduation. Level: Every level.
If you are chosen for the Hillcity Foundation scheme, you will receive 50,000 every year until you graduate.
Gani Fawehinmi Scholarship: The next on this list comes from the late legal Icon, who is known and often referred to as the “senior advocate of the masses.” Gani Fawehinmi has a scholarship named after him and established in his honour and memory.
The Gani Fawehinmi Scholarship Board awards meritorious scholarships to Nigerian students from all over the country each year.
N100,000 in value Levels: all levels
Winners of this scheme receive N100,000 per year until they graduate from university.
- NNPC/Agip National Scholarship: The NNPC/Agip scholarship is one of Nigeria’s largest and most popular scholarship programmes. Every year, the NNPC / AGIP petroleum company, in collaboration with the Nigerian national petroleum company, awards national scholarships to Nigerian undergraduate students.
Please keep in mind that this scholarship is only available to Nigerians and works only in Nigeria. That is, you are only sponsored to attend Nigerian universities.
VALUE: N100,000 per year until graduation. 100L LEVEL
Top BEST 20 Scholarships For Nigerian Students In 2023
- Nigerian Women in Georgia Scholarship: This is one of the few scholarship programmes established and funded by a group of Nigerian women living in Georgia, USA. This means that the scholarship is funded by Nigerian women living in Georgia, one of the 50 states in the United States of America.
Another feature that distinguishes this programme is that it is only available to female students. Keep in mind that the main goal is to support and encourage girl-child education in Nigeria.
All levels are included.
Worth: N50,000 per year until graduation.
- David Oyedepo Foundation Scholarship:
You’ve probably heard of Bishop David Oyedepo. If you haven’t heard of him, let me give you a quick rundown of his life.
He founded Winners Chapel, Living Faith Church, which has its headquarters in Otta, Canaan land. David Oyedepo is the global founding pastor of the Living Faith Church.
Every year, Bishop David Oyedepo’s foundation sponsors hundreds of scholarship awards. The scheme is intended to foster academic excellence among brilliant young Nigerians who are unable to further their education.
This scholarship programme, on the other hand, is open to everyone. Muslims, Christians, Atheists, Pagans, and others are all included.
All levels are included.
Worth: ₦150,000 EVERY Year till graduation.
- ABC TRANSPORT COMPANY SCHOLARSHIP: ABC is a household name in Nigeria when it comes to transportation. The owner of this wonderful company decided to give back to society by establishing the ABC scholarships.
Every year, the company provides scholarships to hundreds of Nigerian students enrolled in tertiary institutions.
Levels: 100 and 200.
Worth: $100,000 per year until the end of the contract.
20. BATN / BATIA Scholarship Awards Scheme.
Finally, but not least, is the BATN/BATIA scholarship for 2023. The BATN/BATIA Scholarship Scheme is one of the BATN/BATIA Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives aimed at promoting skilled manpower development in Nigeria’s agricultural sector.
Be informed that this Scheme, established in 2004, was initially meant to encourage the higher educational ambitions of children of BATIA’s registered tobacco farmers.
However, in the year 2005, the scope was expanded to include ALL eligible students from across the country.
Level: all levels.